School: aaaom.edu

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Acupuncture: Traditional treatment that's new to many

Acupuncture: Traditional treatment that's new to many    

Western medicine often prescribes a pill, physical therapy or surgical procedures to treat illness, pain or disease. But one technique that has been around for more than 1,000 years longer than locally common practices is the use of acupuncture.
"Most people only think of acupuncture as a treatment for chronic pain or back pain but it's a complete system of medicine for every age," said Tara Welty, a licensed acupuncturist based in Parkersburg. "The beauty is that it can work with western medicine. You don't have to choose one or the other."
The practice dates back to traditional Chinese medicinal techniques centered in Taoism-the philosophical tradition that emphasizes living in harmony. Using needles with the diameter range between 0.12 millimeters and 0.35 millimeters, practitioners pinpoint different spots along the whole body to treat many common ailments including stress, depression, anxiety, insomnia, infertility and chronic headaches.
"I had been through so many different things and I even tried Botox but it didn't do anything for me," said Greg Smith, 64, of Sandyville. "I was basically at the end of my rope before my wife scheduled an acupuncture appointment for me."
Smith said the results have been a relief well worth the initial discomfort of being pricked.
"It has helped a lot with my headaches," he said. "I couldn't get rid of them for about 10 years and I got so frustrated."

To continue to read,  click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment